Labels

Monday, July 9, 2012

History-Con...

...would be more apt a title for the Fort MacArthur Days event in San Pedro. It was amazing. And windy. So windy, in fact, that my boyfriend, Alex, was able to hold his hat on his stomach for the 20 minutes (literally two) it took my brother to take a picture.
He's a wizard.




But, oh, the perils of costuming with wind!!! Modern half-moon bangs look a little silly falling out of their pins. 

That's me.

Alex, Me, and Kristen before being swept away. Super flattering, I must say.

I went with my "laundress" impression for this event. I wore my corded petticoats, pillow ticking corset and calico dress with a gathered bodice and a dog-leg closure. I love straw hats, so I tied (which puts it mildly, I was nearly garroted) it to my head and hoped for the best. I only realized how patriotic I looked after my dad questioned my fashion-coordination, to which I replied: "I'm a working woman. I've no care for your frivolities!" Needless to say, my dad thinks I'm insane. 
From left to right: Kevin (brother), Kristen, Me, Alex, Faith and Kevin W.

Here's a picture of the group before we encountered the cyclone that is San Pedro. Sweeping generalizations are my specialty. My brother is in his reenacting uniform (minus the sack coat); Kristen is wearing my plaid jacket, cage crinoline, and awesome straw bonnet (she's from Georgia, so she won the crinoline contest hands-down); I'm wearing a very patriotic ensemble; Alex is wearing a Civil War Navy uniform and looks quite dashing; Faith is wearing a peach robe a l'Anglaise with my precious bergere hat and a pretty awesome bumroll; and Kevin W. is wearing a Union corporal's uniform. 
We picnicked on the grounds beside some super rowdy children throwing sandals, meandered through several-hundred years worth of military history, and came upon our Civil War reenacting friends! But they were in tunics and chitons. Because they are Romans as well! That should be exciting. You should probably feel that excitement. Another post about the Romans!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment