Labels

Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Great Mustard Jacket

So, after thinking about what I wanted to make for the fair for an eternity and getting nowhere, I figured I would just make something that I had been dying to make and send it in. I've been eyeing the 1790's red and white striped jacket from the Kyoto collection, since it is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen, and I've decided to make a jacket with the same silhouette.

I'm doing a mash-up, here. I've taken an internet-find pattern ( larsdatter.com, 18th century Women's Jackets) for the general bodice shape, 

and I'm looking at Janet Arnold's pattern for the 1780-1790 "gown with a front fall opening and a vandyked collar" from Patterns of Fashion 1: 1660-1860. I'm adding cuffs and a front placket which will imitate a buttoned front closure. For the fabric, I'm using mustard velveteen, of which I have about a gazillion yards (literally about 4), and I'm lining it in a creamy linen I found on sale. I think things will go fairly smoothly. I've enlarged my pattern(s) with my trusty enlarger that I received from a teacher friend (it's probably a hot enlarger, let's be honest.) and I've created a mock up. The proportions are a little wonky, but I'm making another mock up later today. I'm planning on hand sewing this, because I always love to super stress myself out at the last minute, but I may machine the innards of my french seams if it gets crazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment